Hey guys! Happy Holidays! I just want to remind everyone to stay safe during this holiday season by staying at home! I know it’s challenging to be away from family and friends, but complying with social distancing guidelines will help reduce the spread of COVID-19. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), celebrating and gathering with people outside of your household can increase your chances of getting or spreading Covid-19, and other yucky viruses. There are many factors that collectively increase the risk of getting and spreading COVID-19 at small indoor gatherings. Although we are cautioned against gathering with people outside of our household here are a few things that we can do to mitigate the risk of spread at small family gatherings.
- Limit the number of guests, and if possible ask those guests to quarantine at least 14 days before the event.
- Avoid indoor gatherings as these gatherings pose a greater risk than outdoor gatherings.
- Provide masks, hand sanitizers and handwashing areas for guest use. Guests should also be asked to wear masks and practice social distancing during the event.
- Avoid potluck style dinners, instead ask guests to bring food and drink for their household. It also good practice to disinfect and clean common areas, and any shared utensils.
- Disinfect and clean shared utensils and common areas between uses.
- Have one person who is wearing a mask serve all the food, and limit access to the food preparation and cooking areas.
Virtual celebrations are the still the safest way to celebrate with our loved ones. Consider using platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts and Facebook Portal Schedule a video call to chat, and open gifts with family and friends. Etsy is also a great place to find fun virtual games or activities to keep everyone entertained and engaged. This year hasn’t been ideal, but we’ve all learned to adjust to the circumstances. Consider modifying your Holiday plans to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Happy Holidays!